Assemble these supplies:
- 4 medium-size sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds total weight)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Medium-size onion, peeled and chopped
- Small clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup Scotch whiskey (optional)
Steps in preparation:
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into Vi-inch-thick rounds.
- In large sauté pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add sweet potatoes and sauté, turning frequently, until brown on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are sautéing, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-low heat in small sauté pan. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add remaining butter to onion mixture, sprinkle with cardamom, and carefully pour in Scotch, if using. Cook just until butter melts, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture to food processor or blender and purée. Pour purée over sweet potatoes and cover pan. Reduce heat to very low and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Divide sweet potatoes among plates and top each serving with onion purée.